Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mango Salsa

Sometimes you can find the yummiest things in the most unexpected places. I sing with the Legacy Chorale in Brainerd and if you live in the Brainerd Lakes area and have never heard us, you have to go to our next concert because you are missing out if you enjoy chorale music. Here is the website for the choir. http://www.legacychorale.org/ And there I am in the front row, second from the right.

What does this have to do with mango salsa or yummy things you ask? Well, every time we have choir practice someone brings a treat and last time we had choir practice, one of the guys in the choir brought the most addicting mango salsa I have ever had. And here is the amazing part... it is healthy! Ron was so kind as to send his recipe to everyone in the choir and I made it the other day and it was just as good as I remembered. Thank you, Ron!!

Time to show off another cool Chef and Company tool! This one takes the core right out of a mango. I discovered mangos about 3 years ago and I absolutely love their flavor. I love that they can add a sweet component to a salad; they can either be sweet or savory. But they can be a pain to dice and peel. This tool at least takes away the pain of trying to core it.

Here is Ron's recipe for mango salsa. I double-dog dare you to let it marinade overnight. You won't be able to. You will test it again...and again...and again... Oh wait, I just have to check one more time to see if I have the right amount of lime juice! Yeah, right! But it is even better if you don't eat the whole bowl and you actually let some of it marinade overnight. Wanna hear something scary? After eating this periodically for about three days, I was down to crumbs in the bag of chips and not very much salsa. So I dumped the crumbs into the rest of the salsa and ate the whole mess with a spoon. Pretty sad, huh?

Mango Salsa

  • 1 can of drained black beans
  • 1 can of drained corn
  • 1 diced mango
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1/3 cup dice onion
  • 1/3 diced red bell pepper
  • 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 package "Good Seasons" dry Italian dressing mix

Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a large bowl. Then add the dry seasoning mix and stir well again. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours before serving. Making this the night before is even better. The longer it marinates, the better it tastes! Serve with Tostitos "Hint of Lime" corn chips.

No comments: