Sunday, March 2, 2008

Shrimp Po' Boys with Angry Mayo

My mom came to see me this weekend and I wanted to make her a good supper so I decided to make shrimp po' boys with angry mayo. I like to say "angry mayo, I think it sounds funny. I happened to see this recipe on http://www.foodnetwork.com/ and make it once in awhile. About six years ago I went to New Orleans and I wish I would have known about these then; I would have made an effort to try an authentic shrimp po' boy. Instead my friend, Carrie and I came back with twenty punds of beads between the two of us. Crazy girls! We did go to Cafe du Monde for the bengiettes so we managed to sneak a little culture into our partying.

I started out by chopping up some basil and cilantro putting it in a skillet with half a cup of olive oil. Then I chopped up a serrano chili pepper and added that and some garlic and lemon zest to the skillet. Once the basil and cilantro started browning, I pulled the oil mixture off and put it in a bowl in the refrigerator to cool. I added a cup of mayo and and a tablespoon of lemon juice to the oil and mixed it together once the oil mixture was cool. The mayo wasn't too angry tonight. How can you be angry on a weekend anyway? Usually I make it hotter but my mom isn't too crazy about spicy stuff and neither is Miss Chocoholic. You could add two peppers if you wanted the mayo to be angrier. (Did I mention I like to say "angry mayo?")I thawed and peeled a pound of shrimp and rolled it in a cup of flour and cayenne pepper. I pan fried the shrimp in the skillet I used to make the angry mayo. Shrimp, like most seafood, cooks fast so don't overcook it or the shrimp will be rubbery. I split open the bread and piled on lettuce, cheese, angry mayo and shrimp.Here's to a fun, relaxing weekend!

No comments: