Saturday, February 16, 2008

Super Bowl Sunday

We decided to invite Kevin's family over for Super Bowl Sunday this year. Kevin's sister and brother-in-law, Karla and Eric came over with their two kids along with Kevin's mom, Marian. Miss Chocoholic gets along well with her cousins so it is fun for all of the kids when they get together.

I love when there is a big table of munchies and you can graze all evening. Karla and Marian brought some great appetizers. Karla brought some fall-off-the-bone drummies that just melt in your mouth and Marian brought some taco dip and some shrimp cocktail dip. That dip is one of my favorite dips. You take a tray and put down a layer of cream cheese, a layer of cocktail sauce and a layer of baby shrimp on top. It is delicious!

I made some guacamole and some artichoke dip. Check out this cool tool I got at Chef and Company that slices your avacado for you.
Then I added a package of guacamole seasoning that you can get at Wal-Mart. Isn't that neat? It is so good and so easy!The artichoke dip that I make is also very easy and I always get a lot of comments and requests for the recipe when I take it to a potluck. You can make a low-fat version of it by just substituting the ingredients with fat-free or low-fat items.You need two little jars of marinaded artichokes, a nice healthy scoop of chopped garlic, (I like the pre-chopped stuff from Wal-Mart) a package of cream cheese, half a bag of grated cheese and about a cup of mayo. Mix it all together and microwave it for about ten minutes to get everything to melt. I will usually put this in a crock pot afterward if I am taking it to a potluck. I serve it with tortilla chips. It is a gross-looking dip but what it lacks in looks, it sure makes up for in flavor!Karla made a board for the game and I can't remember who won, I was so full of food and so sleepy by the time the game was over! The best part of Super Bowl Sunday, in my opinion, is the food!

No comments: