Friday, March 28, 2008

Pico de Gallo in Mexico

Kevin and I just got back last week from our late honeymoon in Mexico. Yes, we have been married a year and a half now, however, we wanted to save up for our honeymoon. We went to the Riveria Maya area and stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort. It was the time of my life. You will have excuse the blurriness of some of the pictures since we didn't take our digital camera and so therefore all the pictures were taken with a disposal camera. I got a lot of strange looks when I took pictures of my plates of food, but I figured they probably thought I was just another strange American. Here is the picturesque view from our balcony. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort that had a buffet that wasn't the greatest but filled us up. There was one amazing thing on that buffet and that was the pico de gallo. Not once did I see what we call salsa anywhere, it was all the chunky, delicious, cilantro, addicting, pico de gallo and homemade chips. I lived off the pico de gallo and chips.Below is a picture of what Kevin lived off of. He quickly learned how to say "cervesa." The resort had a Mexican restaurant and an Italian restaurant. We ate at both and they were very good. I forgot to bring my camera to the Italian restaurant but here we are at the Mexican restaurant.I saw they had cerviche on the menu and I asked to try it as an appetizer. It was made with cooked grouper and had just enough sour and sweet in it. It was served with those awesome homemade chips which are nothing like Lay's tortilla chips. The picture doesn't do it justice, it was a very pretty, colorful dish.We both had the pulled pork and it was very tender. They served it to us with flour tortillas.The picture doesn't look too appetizing but it was very good and very filling. One other place we ate that was interesting and worth the trip was Senor Frog's in Playa del Carmen. I had said if I went to Mexico I would never eat at Senor Frog's because it was just a glorified American Mexican restaurant. Well, what do you do when you are given a free meal there? Because we bought two day trip tours, we were given a free meal. It was a very tasty meal and the location was beautiful. I wouldn't recommend going there normally but I have to admit the food and the drinks were good and it was well worth the day trip into Playa del Carmen.We both had beef tacos and they served it to us with little sides of cilantro and hot sauce. I had a frosty, green drink. I think it was called a "Frog." Lots of Midori in there. Yum!

I tried to make that addicting pico de gallo at home but I haven't succeeded yet. I will let you know when I do, because you know I will try until I do! It was a relaxing and interesting week. I love exploring and I love different cultures. We can't wait to go back!

No comments: