Saturday, March 29, 2008

Lucy's Kitchen, Akumal Mexico

I discovered a kindred spirit while we were in Akumal last week. Although I didn't have much time to talk to her while I was there due to the fact that she is running around serving people the most delicious shrimp tacos I have ever had in my life. Her name is Lucy James and I took the liberty of snooping on her through the internet before we went to Akumal. I had heard that she was from the northwest states and runs her own quaint little restaurant in Mexico for part of the year. I also heard that her food is to die for so of course I needed to check it out. And I was not disappointed. I love her attitude about food, new things, creativity and most of all, I loved the food! Here is a quote from her that I found on the internet:

"Lucy's Kitchen opened in early 2003. We served lunches for a short time, delighting (I think) locals and visitors to Akumal with selections such as Pad Thai, potstickers and sushi, among others. However we soon became known, and maybe a little famous, for our handmade ice cream. For me, cooking is an expression of creativity, and I love trying new things. I like to experiment with recipes and inspirations until they are 'just right'. At Lucy's Kitchen we're sticklers for authenticity, and if there's a shortcut to doing something, we generally don't take it!"

Kind of sounds like my mottos! I am sorry to say that I didn't try the homemade ice cream while I was there because I hear it is as good as the tacos. I tried the shrimp tacos, the baja taco, and another taco that had tempera battered salmon in it, I can't remember the name of it. We actually came back a second time for lunch because it was so good. I think she might put crack in those tacos to keep people coming back and dreaming about them when they are back in their own cold hometown. I am kidding about the crack but seriously, those tacos are so good they should be illegal. The chipolte mayo and the fresh pico de gallo go great with the steaming, hot, tempera battered shrimp. Once again, I have to curse myself for not bringing my digital camera. The disposal camera just doesn't do justice to these works of art.
In Mexico, tacos aren't the same thing as they are here in Minnesota. The word "taco" literally means "a wad of food" so you can put anything in a tortilla shell and call it a taco in Mexico. At home, we think of tacos as being the tacos we get from Taco Bell but those pale in comparison to anything I had in Mexico.

Not only does Lucy cook and manage the kitchen, she was outside waitressing both afternoons. She also seems to have a knack for languages as I heard her speaking Spanish, Italian (or was it French?) and English to different customers. She is definitely someone I could hang out with. Here is the Lucy's Kitchen website. If you are ever in Akumal, Mexico, don't miss out on this place!! Keep being a free spirit, Lucy! http://lucyskitchen.net/

No comments: