Monday, October 13, 2008

High Tea at the Ritz Carlton

I got two great birthday presents this year so far, probably because my family feels sorry for me because I am turning 35. Kevin gave me an amazing, beautiful set of pearls that I want to wear every day and my mom made a reservation in Chicago to have high tea at the Ritz Carlton.

So off my mom and I went to Chicago to pretend we are rich and fit into the Michigan Avenue crowd. The second night we were there, I met a girl at the hotel bar who was a boutique manager and explained the illusion of Michigan Avenue. I asked her if people really shop in five inch heels and if they can really afford to wear Chanel every day to work. "Oh, no, let me tell you a story!" she says with an accent that reminded me of Boston. The girls who work in the high-end stores get a clothing allowance and they are able to buy about three outfits that they wear day in and day out. When it is quiet, the managers send them to walk up the avenue in their stilettos and their $1500 designer outfit. It's all about marketing. After she told me that, the illusion was over and when I pointed out to my mom a blond girl in heels that were thinner than a pencil and about the same height carrying a baby blue $10,000 Birkin, it was satisfying to realize that she probably didn't own that bag because it should actually be mine. Maybe in another lifetime.But it's always fun to pretend that we are classy and ritzy and high tea was a unique experience. I had English breakfast tea and my mom had Earl Gray. The tea came with a three-tiered tray of goodies.Little finger sandwiches, clotted cream, scones, cookies. My favorite thing on the tray was the little chicken rosemary sandwiches. The cookies were buttery, the strawberry jam was right up there with my own jam and the bread was soft and flavorful.The best thing about the tea was my mom paying the bill at the end. Just kidding, Mom! Thanks for a fun birthday present!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm still jealous!!!