Monday, October 13, 2008

Giordano's Deep Dish Pizza

My mom and I went to Chicago last weekend for a girly shopping weekend and I always have to try the local food. What is more local in Chicago than Chicago deep dish pizza? We were headed over to Uno's, the home of the deep dish pizza and I stopped and asked a guy selling brochures how to get there. He suggested instead of waiting an hour for a table at Uno's to just go up a block and go to Giordanos instead. Just as good, he said and less of a wait. Apprehensively, I decided to take my chances, knowing that I would kick myself if the pizza wasn't delicious. We got a table right away. The atmosphere was laid back and casual with red and white checkered tableclothes. We ordered a small pizza with cheese, olives, pepperoni, sausage and garlic. The waitress brought us our drinks and warned us that it would be about 45 minutes. It was the longest, hungriest 45 minutes of my life. My mom wasn't feeling good and we hadn't eaten since early morning so we were both slightly cranky and starving. I thought several times about tripping the waitresses and grabbing the pizzas they were carrying but since the closest I have come to playing football is staring mindlessly at the TV screen when the Vikings play, I decide I probably wouldn't be able to pull that one off. I can honestly say that was probably the best pizza I have ever had in my life and you know me, the ultimate food critic. The crust had the consistency of a biscuit and you could taste the warm yeast in the crust. I had read on the back of the menu how the guy that owned the place thought he had the perfect amount of garlic on the pizza but he realized that his customers thought it was too garlicy and he reduced the garlic. I thought, why mess with perfection if he thought it was perfect and since my mom and I both love garlic and because Kevin was in Minnesota and I wouldn't be kissing him that night, I ordered it with the extra garlic. And I think that made all the difference on that pizza.We were only able to eat two pieces apiece. Wonderful experiece and worth every calorie!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you had UNO's before? Wonderful stuff! You should try that as well sometime! Oh and if you like GARLIC like all of our family does than head to Delaware and go to Grotto's pizza and order a Baker's Choice pizza. So unbelieveably good it'll make your toes curl!